04 March, 2007

Are you confused?

Last night I went to a Kitsap County Young Republicans meeting, but sometimes I'm hesitant to tell people about it. Republican and Democrat are two of those magical political words that will immediately turn people on or off. For instance when I was calling to "get out the vote" in the last local election cycle, something blatantly political, I told a caller (quite cheerfully I imagined) that I was "Matt Pitchford from the Kitsap County Republica-." That's about as far as I got, because this random caller proceeded to yell obscenities and slam the phone down. The word "republican" invokes such angst in some people, that I am sometimes loath to actually invoke that word as a descriptive term. This problem is further compounded by the fact that more and more I am becoming disillusioned with the Republican Party itself. ( Spending issues anyone?)

Recently I've been reading a book called "Are you Liberal, Conservative, or Confused?" Through the book's definitions, I'd call myself a conservative. Most of the political tests I've ever taken have placed me in the same place - Conservative. But even the term conservative carries negative connotations to some, of a miserly old man too afraid of change to actually better himself or society. No, conservative does not fully express my political philosophy.

So, what should I call myself? Well, I've been thinking about it, and I've decided to make my own label. I've started calling it - "Christian Libertarianism," although even that isn't a new or novel idea. Now, libertarians are known primarily for their attitude regarding freedom. Libertarians contend that you should do whatever you want as long as it doesn't harm other people and that you should do all that you have agreed to do. The distinction between Libertarianism and Christian Libertarianism comes down to morality.

Libertarians say do whatever you want as long as it doesn't harm others; however, the definition of "harm" and "other people" must be defined by some morality, or else you have many of the problems existent in our society today. Abortion is an issue of defining what constitutes a human being or not. That definition, in a purely libertarian worldview, is a fairly subjective term. Who should have the right to define the human-ness of others? Or we could look to problems with drugs, or sex, or even suicide. These are decidedly moral areas that the libertarian philosophy does not clearly answer.

Libertarianism isn't enough in and of itself. You should be free to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't harm other people and you should agree to do all that you are engaged to do, but you need an added element of morality otherwise the resulting grey areas cause some real dilemmas. So, I call myself a Christian Libertarian because the Christian worldview provides a context to freedom that delineates right and wrong, while allowing the greatest amount of freedom to society and relegates the government to those few services that private individuals cannot provide. While my quest for a unique label certainly wasn't successful, I think I have found one that allows Christian morality to be mixed effectively with my political philosophy. Care to join a new third party?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Black said...

Something tells me that you are going to be your schools class valedictorian ;)

By the way it was good to see you the other night. All my love to you and Katie (... Fine. And your mom and dad)

Anyway, the funny thing about your musings in this post is that I have been using this "label" for some four years now. I have been quite ashamed" of the Repubs as of late.

But I digress. Next time we hang out with the old gang, you're going to want to hang out for the glowstick festivities. The last of everyone left around 3:30 am.

Take Care,
Andy

05 March, 2007 21:09  
Blogger Nate Mathews said...

Also keep in mind that the very word at the root of "libertarianism," "liberty," is defined as "freedom within the law," not straight-up "freedom." An important distinction, and one that could very easily be taken into the theological realm. But I won't - this time. ;-)

06 March, 2007 10:53  
Blogger DJ said...

In addition to the hostile reactions that "conservative" can provoke, the term has become so broad that it doesn't really define one's views with any specificity. Another good reason to use something else.

Of course, "libertarian" has connotations of its own, including "pot smoker" and "atheist". But calling yourself a "Christian" libertarian should help, at least with the latter. :)

08 March, 2007 08:25  
Blogger ajmoreno56 said...

I totally agree. While a society without freedom is atrocious, absolute freedom without moral restraints is just as bad. Can wait to see you again.

-Anthony M.

23 March, 2007 13:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter stats