15 February, 2007

Human being: y/n? Y.

I downloaded Ubuntu recently (Dapper Drake with Long-Term Support, not the bleeding edge one). Installed it, dual-booting with my WinXPHome now, and debugging it. Ubuntu is a type of Linux, which is an open-source alternative to Microsoft Windows.

There are some interesting differences I've noticed. First off, Windows shoves everything in your face - you have to get rid of stuff to feel like you're not suffocating. This is true when installing the OS (operating system) itself and then also later when you install programs. With Ubuntu, the problem is the other way. "Ok, I installed that new program. At least, I think I did. Where did it go?" Granted, if you use the GNOME desktop system (it's default with Ubuntu) it's not as bad, but my brief forays with Kubuntu (Ubuntu with the KDE desktop) had me digging six layers deep into folders that I was scared to be in, let alone launch anything from them. (KDE had a launch-line, though, where you could launch your programs by typing text. That was cool, in a retro sort of way.)

Another difference is the security software. In Windows you have Windows itself throwing its own firewall at you, and you really should have a 3rd-party one plus virus protection. (Avast! is a favorite of mine.) Haven't seen anything of the sort in Ubuntu yet. Granted, you probably won't *need* as much protection, since most of the viruses out there are written for Windows machines, but why the heck not? Ubuntu runs so much faster than Windows (yet another difference) that I'm not exactly worried about having another program running in the background.

It's been a good learning experience. When I first installed Ubuntu I did research on the different file systems. Good times. Ended up using ext3 for Ubuntu itself, leaving the two NTFS partitions Windows uses right now, and created a FAT32 "sharing partition" that both OS's can read and write to. (Ubuntu can read NTFS but can't write to it; Windows can't even see ext3.)

Networking/Internet wasn't a problem. I've gotten enough training from a certain very smart Uncle of mine that it was a breeze figuring out what needed to go where to get connected. I haven't tried anything strenuous yet, like downloading and seeding .torrents at the same time. That never worked on our network before (slowed the other comps down way too much, even with the download and upload speeds set to minimums), and I'll honestly be surprised if it somehow works now just because I've changed an OS. But hey, you never know.

The primary challenge right now is getting everything that I use daily up and running on the Ubuntu side. (Favorites, etc.) After that I'll eventually have it to the point where the only reason I use Windows is for WoW and Vent.

The real reason I'm doing this all is education, honestly. This stuff has been out there for long enough that it's viable, and I think I should know more about it than "Well, it's free. And guys in suspenders and beards say it's better." Besides, I'm tweaking my computer. I've *always* had fun tweaking computers. :-D

-"Pops"

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Pitchford said...

I really enjoyed using the Ubuntu LiveCD you gave me. The only problem was that, although Ubuntu offers all that Windows does, I couldn't actually find a reason to make the switch. I will be watching for further Ubuntu developments though.

13 March, 2007 11:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter stats