17 June, 2007

The End of Radical Traditions

Two days ago I attended my last debate tournament as as a competitor.

Yesterday I graduated from high school.

Today, I am announcing the official retirement of Radical Traditions.

As history marches inexorably forward, a new chapter is turned.

Next month I will be teaching, coaching, and judging debate with CFC.

Next year I will be going to college.

I intend to write in a blog again, perhaps a Radical Traditions 2.0.

These transitions do compel a new kind of feeling. I feel reminiscent and content as I look back over my high school career. I can't ask for much more there. At the same time, I feel fond despair as goodbye is "such sweet sorrow." To top it all off, I feel incredibly excited for new locations, new friends, and new experiences. I didn't cry at the last night of the tournament. I didn't bawl at my graduation. I haven't shed hot tears about ending this blog.

But, unlike when one has a birthday, I do feel different (as well as uncharacteristically introspective.) I feel like a character riding off into a sunrise, rather than a sunset. Not that high school was darkness, but now the world dawns anew in a bright, wild, and colossal light. I like what Taylor Carlson said at my graduation ceremony, "it's not an end ... it's a christening ... it's a knighting" Now I intend to earn my spurs. Farewell ... for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger MaxN said...

Maybe you didn't cry, but reading your post almost made me cry. No more Radical Traditions.... Sadness...

19 June, 2007 10:21  
Blogger DJ said...

Well, at least I still have your phone number. I just have to remember to use it. :)

If you do another version of the blog sometime, could it be argued that it was now traditional since it had been done before? If so, you could call it "Traditional Traditions," or even "Traditional Radical Traditions."

Or maybe not. ;)

20 June, 2007 20:58  
Blogger Nate Mathews said...

WOOOHOOO!!!

It was a good run, and certainly not the best that either of us will do, which means we'll do *better* in the future!

Well done, Matt my man. And pardon me please if I feel a bit glad that you're now "broken in" to the whole blogging thing. ;-)

Pitchford for President!

Fondly,
-"Pops"

28 June, 2007 15:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter stats