02 October, 2006

Wherefore?

I detest drama. No. That is too little emphasis. I detest drama. By drama, I do not mean the noble and ancient art of theatre. This form of drama that I refer to is the phenomenon so often demonstrated in relationships. I am referring to the pining, sappy, over-emphasized, craving, over-analyzing, insipid, reactionary drama of contemporary culture.

Being homeschooled, I consider myself blessed that I avoid the majority of this problem. The "did you hear what she said?" "can you believe what he did?" "know about her?" kind of gossip that pervades even the Boy Scouts, debate league, and youth groups that I attend. Whenever I see drama, (Of which, thankfully, I am mostly ignorant.) I ignore it. If someone calls me out and asks me if I want to know the latest insider gossip and/or latest relational drama, I have to pull out the oft too-harsh-sounding, "I don't care!"

It's true. I don't care. I couldn't care less! I don't want to know about so-and-so. I don't want to know about your boyfriend/girlfriend woes. I don't want to know what s/he said that made you so mad, sad, or glad. I just wanted to talk to you about what's new in life (or whatever.)

I guess I should preface the rest of this post with a qualifier. I enjoy reading Shakespeare. I am taking a Shakespeare class this semester, and I am really excited about reading more of his plays.

That said, I really do not like Romeo. The play is well written and Mercutio is my favorite character. But Romeo! Romeo the quintessential lover, the bard of spoken infatuation, the man's form who weeps "womanish tears." I want to take him, buffet him soundly by the ears, and tell him to get a grip. He is infatuated with the idea of love. He loves Rosaline with a undying passion ... until he sees Juliet. Barely five minutes pass and he kisses her as a lover. GAH! It seems to me that Romeo has a "drama" problem. Moving from relationship to relationship, from crisis to crisis.

Therefore, I encourage you not to be another lost romantic, another Casanova, another Romeo. Get out of the narcissistic pit of infatuation, boy/girl acting, gossip, and image and step into the glorious light of a relationship on the basis of real conversation, enjoyment of the other person's unique personality, and (dare I say) crisis-free fun.


Afterward: "Pops" once called a blog, "A place to complain and pour out your emotions online." I just broke the once proud tradition of Radical Traditions of being intellectually-based, hard-hitting political commentary and spiritual thinking. Romeo drove me to it. My sincere apologies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nate Mathews said...

LOL, well, as long as you don't make any drama with this post on drama, I suppose you're still ok. :-D

05 October, 2006 15:44  
Blogger tatterjil said...

I completely agree with you. Romeo and Juliet were stupid. For mercy's sake, no one ever consider them role models!

It was not true love... it was teenagers fancying themselves in love and dying for it.

23 October, 2006 20:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter stats