16 March, 2006

MyThoughts on MySpace

Everyone and their dog has a MySpace site. A bold assertion? Probably. But it is definitely popular. An estimated 48 million users were registered as of February 3 … with membership growing every day.

MySpace is the largest social networking site on the web at this time. It allows photos, postings, blogs, comments, videos, music, instant messaging, web based email, and all manner of such networking activities. Don't ask me too much more than that … all I know is what Wikipedia tells me. I don't know firsthand, because I choose not to have a MySpace.

"Gasp!" "Shock!" "Horror!" "Why not?" Such is the reaction of a large number of my friends and even my casual acquaintances. I offer my email; they offer their MySpace. Well, this post is an answer to why I don't have a MySpace … and why I won't get one.

The first consideration is my time. The Rebelution writes much more extensively on this topic, but we all need to be aware of and guard our time effectively. I have enough trouble responding to email, posting to the blog, and finishing school to spend any time on MySpace to do anything. There are a myriad of endeavors that I should be doing … and chatting isn't one of them. I believe in networking. I do not believe in an all consuming web service. As Ben Franklin once said, "Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that the stuff life is made of."

My second consideration is the situations presented. I would rather not put myself in situations where I input filth into my senses. I don't want to read your cussing to try to make some sort of point. I don't want to listen to some random song about my-girlfriend-left-me-so-it-hurts despair. I don't want to look at alluring over-stylized pictures of yourself. I don't want to have to interact with possible predators. Even if these situations don't occur, MySpace makes it too easy for my liking. The spirit is willing but the flesh is proverbially weak. I'd rather not even toe the line. I won't put myself into a situation that could present material expressly against my personal beliefs and convictions.

One may argue that I can simply disallow those I don't know from commenting or otherwise talking to me over MySpace. Well then, what is the point of having MySpace? I can achieve all these same networking benefits over more "conventional" means without the time issues and other considerations.

I would contend that some I know are addicted to the web and MySpace in particular. But even becoming obsessed involves a decision. That first initial step to create an account is not something I intend to do. Even if I prove to be on the wrong side of history (so to speak), it's better to be safe than sorry. As a friend once remarked, "The Internet is like alcohol, one chooses to be addicted."

I have one final caveat before I conclude. I believe in globalization. I love the book "The World is Flat" by Thomas Freidman. The world is becoming more "flat" and streamlined. People are becoming much more able to communicate, collaborate, and compete with one another. MySpace could arguably be a part of that "flattening" process. This remains one step I would rather not take. The benefits of socialization are outweighed by considerations of time and the influx of junk. You want to talk to me? Send me an email … or to go even more archaic, call.

2 Comments:

Blogger the traveler said...

Love the headline for this column. Very interesting and enlightening read, truth be told I haven't thought about it that much.

18 March, 2006 07:19  
Blogger Katie Pitchford said...

You already know I have an account on Myspace, but I respect your decision. It's true it's addicting, but for someone who doesn't have IM, it's my only way to connect with my friends during the week. I would call...but I hate being archaic....but otherwise, I'm impressed at your strong decision to not get one. Good luck my brother...you'll need it.

21 March, 2006 11:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter stats