22 January, 2006

Speechification and Debaterisms

My last post was made at 35,000 feet, flying to a debate and speech tournament at San Diego. Well, now I’m fortunate to be at another one. I am currently in Hammond, Louisiana, one hour north of New Orleans for the Masters conference.

Communicators for Christ annually hosts conferences all over the South, including the fabled Masters Conference. Along the usual tour there are two days of speech classes culminating in a group presentation. If you so choose, you can then have two days of debate, ending in a group “mock” debate.

Masters goes above and beyond. I have just finished three days of speech classes and one full day of a speech tournament. I write to you now on Sunday, right before three more days of classes and a full debate tournament. Suffice to say, it’s somewhat intensive but well worth the effort.

Part of the reason of this post to you let know that I had not indeed fallen off the face of the earth, but also to talk about the point of the conference … the point beyond the classes, learning and fellowship.

As Uncle Ben is wont to say, “With great power comes great responsibility.” With the ability to communicate comes the increased accountability to the message and influence that you may have over colleagues, friends, acquaintances, and people in general. Guest Speaker Thane Rehn also said that you really don’t know when your light is being seen. You really don’t know when your words and actions in general are making an impact. This has really made an impression on the way I view my interactions and lifestyle!

Along with these nuggets of understanding, the whole theme of the conference, “See. Hear. Speak.,” has a special point. You can interpret that statement many different ways, but I especially agree with the idea that it represents being a cultural communicator. Seeing, hearing, and speaking the truth of God’s word within the community. Quite frankly, I have been inspired to stretch out and try to impact my community with my words and actions. This is an experience I would recommend to everyone. I have learned many new tools of communication, made so many new friends, and have been very much motivated.

2 Comments:

Blogger the traveler said...

Good point about being a cultural communicator. You're right, sometimes we don't even know that people are seeing our light...I know I've run into this a couple of times. While I was helping customers, sometimes they would say something out of the blue about Christianity. "How did you know?" I'd ask. They could see my light. I didn't know how, but they saw it.
All the more reason to be careful that what we say is edifying...and that we are being accountable for each word we speak.-sd

25 January, 2006 18:23  
Blogger Matt Pitchford said...

I appreciate both your comments! I really should start commenting on your blogs ... I do enjoy reading them.

-Matt

05 February, 2006 21:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter stats