22 March, 2006

The Key

Tomorrow is another speech and debate tournament. One outside of the debate subculture may wonder why it is such an enjoyable activity. Why do a bunch of teenage homeschooled kids want to dress up in suits and talk to judges for 10-12 hour stretches? There is one simple answer, for me at least - people.

Certainly there are other factors. The thinking and argumentation involved is stimulating. The competition is inspiring. The opportunities for travel and scholarships exist. The skills gathered are important to life. Taken collectively, these are reasons why I debate, not why I enjoy debate. There must be something else.

The friendships, the fellowship, and the interaction on a personal outside-of-the-competition level provides a ready theory. I've never met a debater I didn't like ... although some took some getting used to. All throughout my life, this theory receives distinct evidence to support it. Summer Camp is not necessarily enjoyable ... it depends on who goes with me. Hiking in the middle of nowhere was a blast, with a specific crew of people. That same hike with other, not as amiable, people was a drag.

It's not like its just my life either. My dad had a job in college as a janitor's assistant. Scraping gum off the underside of a desk is not the most exhilarating of activities. However, he had the time of his life. Why? The people doing it with him. He still corresponds with several of the friends he made doing a seemingly tedious job.

This, therefore, is a post not just about reminisces, but about future ideas. Quite frankly, with all the extemporaneous preparations I've been doing, I'm tired of current political events for the moment. So then, my goal is to be one of those people that make a boring task or duty enjoyable through my attitude.

Being cheerful, even in the midst of irksome tasks and weighty responsibilities is no easy thing. One thing I've learned is putting cheerfulness on the outside first. If you pretend to be cheerful (not sarcastically ... we've had this discussion before) and smile about it, you actually begin to feel cheerful. When you're cheerful, quite often others will join in.

I think it is important to clarify at this point that being cheerful among friends is not "acting out." It is simply a personal attitude that is plainly visible but often unnoticed in a direct sense. One's desire to enjoy the activity and each other's company is the true key to Joy.

That is one of the reasons, aside from all I will learn, why I so look forward to the tournament tomorrow. I am going to interact with some refreshing and cheerful people with an attitude towards life that truly will excel. The key isn't what you do, it who you do it with.

2 Comments:

Blogger the traveler said...

I enjoyed reading this thought provoking post. Your comments about the people you're around being important reminded me of my job at Quiznos. The job itself wasn't that glamorous, but working with the team meant a lot.

I really need to work on that 'be cheerful even when you don't feel like it' bit..You really do a great job being cheerful! I've noticed that you're always very upbeat.

24 March, 2006 07:17  
Blogger Nate Mathews said...

Well said.

25 April, 2006 08:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter stats